Friday, October 06, 2006

Dream sequence

Our TV works! Sort of. Now we need a DVD player!

So today I took a nearly 4-hour nap after lunch. I'm about ready to fall asleep still. I'm really at a loss as to how I can be so tired after sleeping sooo much. I may get more sleep now than I have in years.

I thought maybe it has something to do with my dreams. I have vivid, memorable dreams every time I close my eyes. Last night, for example, I distinctly remember two Chinese hip-hop posers trying to sell me their blingy clothes, and me demanding that they just give them to me. This was in the desert, next to an adobe wall. Then I ventured out, and eventually shielded some friends of mine from a land mine explosion, with my body. This led to the amputation of my right leg. I was allowed to keep my leg and walk around on it for a few days before the amputation, and was really depressed. There was a sequence in which I walked down the dusty desert street crying buckets. Some other army amputees (army? army.) explained that after they took the limb, they'd give me a medal, and tv promotions, and lots of other compensation, but that's when I realized how important my flesh was to me. I was really confused when I was still able to use the leg. I thought maybe they'd already taken it, and I had the phantom limb thing. But like, I was walking on it. So I thought maybe they'd already fitted me with a... replacement. But if I poked it, it really hurt. So yeah. That was last night.

This afternoon I had some serious dreaming about an elevator. Like, I was some woman, maybe a blonde, on some mission, which took me to this building like a shopping mall. I had two exes there (and I mean like ex-husbands), one of whom had some exec position, and the other was a security guard at a desk. Neither of them wanted to help me out. In whatever ensued, the exec guy took me shoes so I couldn't leave the building, and I couldn't get out of the elevator because otherwise they would find me. This story ended twice. Once with the exec-like man forcing the elevator open and sticking his head in the door to compromise. In the other ending, everyone just stopped paying attention and I was able to just pick up my shoes and leave the building. In one of these two endings, the security guard and I rekindled some spark or another, but it was totally PG.

Then a scene in the subway, in which it became clear that I was a character in a computer game, because if the person playing moved the cursor to either end of the screen, it would tell you what direction I would be headed if I started walking that way. Like... to the subway station.

There was a whole other dramatic part after this that was very distinct when I woke up. OOOH. I was kidnapped! In my sleep! I was napping on Alice's bed in her apartment, but whoever I was in my dream (maybe a 7 yr old black girl?), I was in a room I have never ever been in before. Now that I think of it, it hearkens to one of the guest rooms in Arthur's old old house, but the furniture was never arranged like that. Anyways, so I read this news article online the other day about how electrical stimulation of a certain part of the brain might cause you to sense a presence behind you ("shadow person") mimicking your movements and interfering with your actions. I think that's what inspired this. There was some string of kidnappings, and my character was experiencing one of them. In it, she was definitely sedated (probably inspired by the fact that some thieves drug you so you don't wake up while they steal stuff... heard Alice talking about it the other day), but woke up anyway. She/I couldn't move, and there were little shadow hands under me trying to lift me off the bed and carry me out of the room. So I tried to make some noise, any noise, but it only came out as heavy exhalations.

Then more dreaming followed, inspired by the Golden Compass. There were characters from the book anyway. Only those characters seemed much less likely to succeed in escaping whatever danger was following them. Oh yes. I remember what that was. There was some ploy to kill this girl. And they knew she was going to be poisoned, but didn't know when or who would do it. All they knew was that the poison would be put on a needle and shoved up her nose. This prospect was totally scary, I promise.

But anyway, when I sleep, it's not exactly like resting. It's like, my eyes are closed, but my mind is still going crazy-go-nuts, and it's like I'm reading/watching tv/surfing the internet, whatever. Only I have no control over what it is that I'm doing. So no matter when I wake up, I feel like I never actually slept at all.

So that's probably one factor.

Anyway, better work on some lessons.

No comments: