Sunday, November 12, 2006

A few observations, only not really cuz this is more of an aural thing

Some background music on CCTV programs and other commercials that were more or less unexpected.

1) Today, during a true-story program about a little jinzi monkey in Wuhan (in which it's breast-fed by a woman), aside from giving the monkey a baby voice for it to "express" it's discomfort during an illness and otherwise emote from the crib or in a car, they finished it off with a Joe Hisaishi number from... Howl's Moving Castle? It's the pretty little piano number.

2) I haven't been paying attention to the visuals, but every once in a while when Alice watches TV, I hear, very distinctly, an instrumental from Pocahontas, which mainly expresses either "Colors of the Wind" or "If I Never Knew You." I would assert that it's the "Farewell" theme, which is the best piece from the soundtrack, but I just heard it so I can't be sure that I'm not just making that up.

3) The oddest one, and therefore the coolest, has to be the commercial (can't remember for what... cell phone? car?) that actually uses music from Glory, and my guess would be that it comes from "Preparations for Battle," if only because that track has the longest sustained repetition of the theme and is very soothing until the end, which actually used to make me sob quite regularly.

There may be others, but those are the ones that came to mind just now. By the way, people who've seen both... isn't there a real similarity between the "If I Never Knew You" theme in the Pocahontas score and the Glory theme in general? I've always thought so. Also, I clearly like both.

No comments: