Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanks!

Before I begin, I'd just like you to know that I'm waiting for my shower water to heat, and that the heater sounds like lazers: pyoo! pyoo!

Anyways, Thanksgiving is technically over on this side of the world, though really technically it never officially began. I meant to make this post at least an hour ago, but I got caught up watching men's figure skating on YouTube. I've rarely ever taken part in observing this facet of athletics, and I'm not really sure why that is. I mean, I could have fallen in love with Evgeny Plushenko years ago! Oh well. Better late than never.

I assume preparation is starting to swing into gear back home, or at least people are thinking about starting... most people I know are probably just now getting up... so I guess it's still appropriate for me to do what I was planning to do, and that is to publicly announce a few things. I did a short version of this in class today, trying to get my students to think about the things they're thankful for this past year. So here's the expanded list, which is not so expanded.

1) My parents: they haven't always been at the top of this list, but this year they definitely are. For two people who were originally against my little adventure, they've given me a lot of support and caring since they decided to let me come. You know, last year, when I was loitering around Beijing and Yantai, my mom's phone calls ended up a lot of times being my best connection to... well, anything. When I stop hearing from everyone else, I'll surely still be hearing from my mom. Anyways, since I've gotten here, they're a constant reminder that there's someone around who cares, and that's important these days.

2) My friends: I told my students, sometimes, when you're coming out of a time when you're always surrounded by people, you wonder how many of those people will still be close once you've been separated by a couple hundred miles and busy hours filled with appointments. I'm grateful to have some such friends who, unsolicited, have taken a few moments out of their busy and exciting lives to keep me updated on how they've been, and have shown me that they actually care to know how I've been. Being so far away, even for the short time that it is, it's a really wonderful feeling to know that someone considers me to be a part of their lives. It really does mean a lot to me, actually, more than most other gestures I've ever experienced.

3) The rest of my family: This past year, I've been fortunate enough to reconnect even a little bit with all the different branches of my family... well... on my father's side anyways. Not only have I had the pleasure of spending extended amounts of time with my cousins, but I've actually been able to spend time with my aunts and uncles as well. I was still a bit surprised everyone was when the purse story surfaced, but... is it bad to say that I was glad that someone was concerned? Anyways, since I do like my attention, I'm glad to know that I don't just drop off the radar because I can't attend family gatherings. I just think I'm lucky to have such a supportive base of aunts and uncles, and cousins who are "hip." Even Alex, though I guess that's to a different degree. I'm kidding!

4) New friends: Though I am reluctant to name very many people I've met here as "friends," since I don't actually know what they think of me, I do know that there are a few who I can trust no matter what. Alice, her family, and Russ, have been a huge help to me the last few months. Alice's mother always welcomes me into their home, and it really seems like she's trying to help me feel like I have a home here. I don't think I need to say much more about Alice, since you should know by now how her practicality and sensitivity help keep me on my feet. And Russ, he reminds me how important it is to be a generous person.


5) Old roommates: I know, I mentioned friends already, but I think Alice and Steph really have a category of their own. I must have confused more than one person by now by continuously referring to these girls as my "roommates," with no indication that there's been any break in the continuum since college ended (for me, anyway). I love that Alice, who sometimes doesn't even have time to shower anymore, will still stalk me online at least once a day. Also, I'm thrilled that Steph has the job we wanted her to have, and I'm also glad when she has a moment to tell me that I'm still her roommate too. Aaaaaw!

6) Good students: Because otherwise I would hate my job. Though sometimes I do dread having to teach, or really, having to get off my lazy butt and do what I'm being paid to do, I always look forward to walking into the classroom and seeing my students' faces. They've all got like... those interesting personalities and unexpected questions that make me *want* to do the best I can for them. And also, some of them manage to affirm, in like messages or comments (or the evaluations that I forced some of them to give... hehe) that they do appreciate what I try to do, which tells me that there isn't anywhere else that I'm "supposed" to be. I'm lucky to see, daily, such an array of good, intelligent people, since after a while we tend to forget how wonderful and common such people are.

7) Serendipity: This is hard to explain, maybe. I mean those little things that happen that help us see just how connected our lives are. Like the 3 Alices, for example. The three important Alices in my life are all connected somehow, did you know that? It's the feeling I get when it seems like everything happens because the situation is just right. It keeps life interesting, and also gives you the sense that someone's letting you in on a secret.

So... I get the feeling that the water is warm enough now. That was my attempt at being a little bit reflective, though... I may read it later and wrinkle my nose a bit. Sorry if the writing is crappy, but the sentiment is true. Anyways, when I spoke about Thanksgiving in my classes today, I uncovered a lot of very strong feelings that I have for this holiday and might have gotten choked up if I'd gone on much longer. It's the first Thanksgiving I've spent without Thanksgiving, and yet I've managed to observe it more... purely...? than I have in years.

As I clean myself (as if you need any more mental images from me), I'd just like you to know that I wish, from the very very bottom of my heart (the proverbial one) everyone (ye who read this and they who don't) a most grand and satisfying Thanksgiving, and I hope you all have long long lists of things to be thankful for, this year and next (when, hopefully, I'll be with you again)!

No comments: